The best way to make college more affordable for your family is to become a smart college shopper. And that is my No. 1 goal for this class – empowering you to make the best decisions as you contemplate your college choices. The last thing I want is for you to feel that the entire college admission process is out of your control!
I am also eager to welcome the college consultants and high school counselors who are enrolled in The College Cost Lab. The materials will be equally relevant and valuable for you!
What’s inside The College Cost Lab
I want to share what you’ll find inside The College Cost Lab that will allow you to squeeze more value out of the course.
How to Access the Classroom
You will access this class through my website, The College Solution.
For future use, I would highly recommend that you bookmark the link that gets you into the classroom. Here it is: Course Member Log-In
You can also gain access to the class by visiting the home page of my website. At the top right-hand corner of the website, you’ll see the drop-down menu for Lynn’s Classes. (See the screenshot below). Just click on Course Login.
You can take advantage of all the class material at your own pace. All the materials will be there for you when you get a chance to spend time with them.
- Written lessons
- 13 resource guides
- Full-ride, full-tuition scholarship list
- Recorded webinars
What’s Inside the Classroom
Here is a rundown of the resources that you’ll find in this course:
1. Written Lessons and Videos
The class is divided into 10 modules and each module contains a series of related lessons. There are roughly three dozen lessons. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like:
I have aimed to provide information in these lessons in a logical order for parents searching for ways to make college more affordable. You are reading the first lesson.
In some lessons, you will also find videos that I’ve recorded.
In one video, for instance, I explain how to use a search tool at COLLEGEdata.com to look for schools that provide a high percentage of their students with merit awards, as well as schools that meet a high percentage of demonstrated financial need. You’ll also find a video that explains how to use the financial statistics for individuals schools on the College Board website.
I will be offering four webinars during the course.
All four of the webinars will be held at 5:30 p.m. Pacific, 8:30 p.m. Eastern.
- Introduction to the class and Q&A, Webinar recording.
- Main Sources of College Money and Q&A, Webinar recording.
- Increasing Admission Chances/Awards and Q&A. Webinar recording.
- Financial Aid Formulas & Maximizing Financial Aid and Q&A. Webinar recording.
At the start of each webinar, I will typically be sharing a PowerPoint lesson and sometimes I will hop on the Internet to illustrate what I’ve been talking about. When I’m finished with my presentation, I devote the rest of the time to answering your questions.
In the past, these webinars have typically lasted from 70 to 90 minutes. If you can’t watch the webinars live, I record each one and I will email you the link to the recording within 24 hours. Unless you download the recorded webinar onto you desktop, you will only be able to watch a few minutes of the presentation.
To participate in the live webinar, you must register. You can register with the links above and I will also send you the registration link two or three days before each webinar. You will also get a follow-up reminder about the event.
If you can’t make the live webinar, but would like to ask a question just email it to me in advance at Lynn@TheCollegeSolution.com.
Please send me your question(s) at least a couple of hours before the webinar. In the past some people have emailed me questions just minutes before the webinar has started and I never saw them.
3. Where To Ask Me Questions
You have two ways to ask me questions during the course. You will be able to ask me questions during the first eight weeks of the course. The webinars will also be held during that time.
- Webinars. I never conclude any webinar without addressing every participant’s questions. If you want to ask a question and you can’t make the live webinar, just email me with your question and I’ll address it during my presentation.
- Comment boxes. At the bottom of each lesson in each module, you can ask me questions. Just look for the following Leave a Reply feature:
Just type your question in this Leave a Reply box and I’ll be automatically alerted to your question. I aim to answer any question as soon as possible and most certainly within 24 hours.
You will see questions and my responses from another class in the Leave a Reply section. It’s my hope that you can benefit from these previous exchanges too!
4. Resource Guides
Here are the resource guides that you’ll get:
- Your Smart Blueprint for Selecting Colleges
- The Ultimate College List Builder
- The Ultimate List of the Nation’s Most Generous Colleges
- Schools That Don’t Provide Merit Scholarships
- EFC Primer: What You Need to Know About Expected Family Contributions
- How To Measure the Generosity of Colleges
- A Guide to Building the Perfect College List
- The Ultimate SAT and ACT Guide
- Six Ways to Cut College Costs
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Help Families Cut Their College Costs
- Class Introductions – Q&As
I’ve included screenshots of what a couple of the guides look like.
5. Scholarship lists
You will also find this list in the Bonus Material module. in two different forms
Full-Ride, Full-Tuition Scholarships List (Searchable Excel spreadsheet)
How To Save All Course Material
If you have any questions about the course instructions, email me at Lynn@TheCollegeSolution.com.